With school work out of the way we are having our big yearly lesson in money! This is always fun but this year "they get it"..... You know those moments when they just get it and you are thrilled? We are having that this morning.Every year we pull out a piggy bank and count change. This year they are doing it themselves! They have always "helped" in the past but have struggled with the whole concept of the different amounts that go in the tubes.
Zachary has picked dimes to work on. "How many dimes make up a dollar?" Z- "10"
"so how many dimes make up $5?" .. Z- "50". "Go for it...!"

Quentin is bopping around, starting with pennies, then doing some Quarters, very excited to find a Connecticut Quarter. He then moved on to Nickels. He has a turtle moment and looks at me blankly, "How many to make up $2?" I just look at him. "How many dimes does it make to make a dollar?" ... Q blank stare. Zachary rolls his eyes and says "10.. errr"
"So Q, how much is a nickel?" Q-"five cents"
"So that is half of a dime, so how many make a dollar" (here comes the turtle moment)
"five"
"Umm, wrong way..."
Zachary then irritated at this whole conversation then tells his brother "Just count 40 for $2!"... Brotherly love at its best......
Once they get all the coins wrapped (I'm sure at some point I will have to lend a hand) Tomorrow we will head to the bank to get cash and then I will take them to Athens where we will meet up with Scott so he can take them shopping after work. He has done it every year for as long as I can remember. It is such a nice tradition! I give him a partial list of things he should look for and steer them towards but for the most part it is totally up to them and they are not allowed to go over the total budget and have to work everyone into their list.
The boys and I will pay a visit to Pat before I drop them off and then I will head up to see about Courtney and LisaD. I will do some shopping of my own and that will be great!
Tonight we have the first "official" Cub scout awards ceremony. The boys are very excited about that.
No comments:
Post a Comment