Monday, August 27, 2007

My Tax Trip



Robert (my tax boss) asked me to join he and Kala to learn the new software that he is planning on using this tax season. The meeting took place in NC and we were able to stay at a place called "The Dillard House" that is just over the boarder in GA. (see: http://www.dillardhouse.com/ )

Kala and I met Robert at his farm.... The "Barn" actually........ I say "Barn" because it is a 9 (8?) bay, living quarters, Entertainment area, work out loft, spare loft with bathroom and an outside shower, cooking area, etc.... It is like NOTHING you have ever seen..... It is just such a fun place! No cows inside the "barn" though, just people!

We headed to Dillard and got our rooms. Of course nothing can be easy and Kala and I had a chalet which had a fire place that had this horrible soot smell and would have made us both sick. So we went back and tried to switch it for a normal room which would have been half the price and the little dude at the front desk was so mean (of course, could it be easy?? no!) And we asked to speak to his boss and he said "I am the manager and I report to the owner who is in Sweden" Well, what we found out was the little jerk was not even a manager and the owner's son who was a co-owner was on site someplace! So, we ended up just buying a regular hotel room and figured we would dispute the charges.

We met up with a bunch of people from all over who were going to the same tax class (friends of Roberts) and had dinner. There were about 19 of us? If you check out that site, you will see all the food that they serve and I am telling you, I was sick from eating so much! It was amazing how good everything was and how much food they brought and kept brining (it is "family style") The co-owner, hearing there was a problem from someone in our party, pulled Robert aside and not only did he take the room off our bill but discounted the whole dinner meal!! HA! You should have seen the letter I was "writing in my head" about the little dude that was so mean to us! He is just lucky!

Kala and I walked (more like rolled) back to our room. I took this on the way back, it is not a good shot but the mountains were so pretty and the colors were amazing!

We watched the season finally of Big Love which was great! We hung out and laughed and chatted and eventually tried to fall asleep.. Robert wanted us up and ready at 6:45am! Omg... Kala wanted us to get up at 5:30! Yea, that did not happen.... Of course we were not ready on time but we did make it to breakfast just before 7am and the breakfast was just as amazing as the dinner the night before! I just ate a little eggs, some fruit and a couple pieces of bacon and passed on everything else! I did not want to get sick!

We got to the meeting on time (well about.... lol) and the class today was very, very long and there was so much information that it was hard to keep everything straight. I was amazed by the fact that we were there to learn the in's and outs of this new software and they did not have computers on all the desks so that we could walk through things. When I took a class for the old AS400 system from IBM (boy if that does not date me!) We walked in and there were about 40 computers in the room so that as they explained everything we could "walk" through it with them. I would have thought that a company that is trying to sell you software would want you to try it "hands on" right then! But again, thats just me!

The class was finally over and Robert talked us into stopping at the "factory" for dinner. see the factory
It was good but Kala and I were tired and wanted to go home! I missed Zachary's first soccer practice today and really wanted to see them before they went to bed.

I am very tired but feel like I learned a lot. It was pretty fun and I was glad that I went. I will install the software on my puter and see what I think about it when I can really get my "hands wet" working with it. ~~~ TTFN!

No comments: