
It has taken me a couple days to write about this because I HATE the dentist! Not just hate in the normal way but in the way that makes my palms sweat and I need gas before he even looks in my mouth. I have a "wimp" letter on me at all times, written by a doctor that basically says "If you don't treat me with kid gloves, I might pass out, fall out, or convulse in the chair" (no, seriously... I do..)
So, keeping this in mind, I have been taking my kids to the dentist since about age 3 so that they will not have the same fears. Zman is pretty fine with it as long as you bribe him but Q. just won't get past the fact that he is going to get hurt or that something will taste bad.
They both had a tiny cavity in the same back tooth that we had been "watching". I decided that the best thing to do was to bribe Zman with anything I could and get him to get it filled first, showing his older brother that it was "no big deal"..... I was proud of him; it took about 4 minutes to fill and he was bounding out of the office saying "do I get the game now?"
At our last cleaning the dentist decided that it was time Q's was filled and I set the appointment. I did not tell him until the morning of the appointment because he does not handle knowing about things early. We would have had to put up with days/nights of stomach aches, loss of sleep, and overall whining about the upcoming event.....
Quentin got in the chair and opened his mouth. It did not take long to fill the tooth and it was over pretty much before he knew what was going on. Of course he turned white during the process and when it was over I thought he was going to pass out. I asked him several times if he was okay but all he said was "I just want to sit here a minute"....
Then it was my turn and I sat very quietly so he would not hear me be a baby about it. I, of course, had gas and he had a million questions for the dentist. On the way home I told him how proud of him I was. I was proud, he made it through his first filling and all was okay.... Good thing he has good teeth, he is not going to do well if he has to go through that to many times.
1 comment:
Aw, good for you guys. Luckily we don't have dentist issues, but I think Daddy needs a note like yours before he'll go to the doctor. ;-)
Post a Comment