Saturday, August 18, 2007

A Wolf and A Bear....



Heyas! We had our first cub scout meeting today. It is a home school pack with only 4 boys right now but hopefully some others will join; if not, small is sometimes good and we will have fun with the whole Boy Scout thing and they will be able to participate with enough other scouts that having smaller meetings will be good.

I kind of threw the boys in with very little instruction, today was (quite literally) a sink or swim type of day because I actually had them test for a swimming "belt loop" without any instruction or warning! Of course, as most of you know, my boys have been practically swimming since birth so not only are they are very comfortable in the water but each swim very well.

Since I had just borrowed a book last night, we only had the car ride in to go over some of the boy scout stuff that they need to learn and recite back. (ie. handshake, the Promise, the Motto, the Salute, etc.) I must say that even with the short lessons, Zachary did very well. (his retention is amazing) Quentin needs to work on his some more but I am sure that they both will be on top of their game the next time.

Their "project" for today was to begin to learn how to whittle. They learned how to hold a knife and were practicing on a bar of soap. By doing this, they are working towards their "pocket knife card" which entitles them to carry a pocket knife to meetings. Zachary was frustrated but that is normal for him given his frustration when anything does not just happen for him. As they work on their project this week I am sure he will improve. Quentin, as always, got it quickly. (of course working with grandpa all these years with exacto knives helped) Even using a butter knife was able to work with the soap much easier than the other boys. But again, Quentin is all about the fine motor skills and using his hands because he has had so much practice with grandpa and he is a little bit older.
Bailey is in the photo with Q and Z and did very well with the whittling. The other little boy's name is Dustin and he is about Zachary's age.

Walter did a good job with instruction, with Kati's help :):) and you can see both of them (finally) in the photo. (kati is the one in the yellow scout shirt and walter is the one that is not Scott... lol.. Did ya have to have me tell you that??) The Den (??) leader is Ms. Diane, the woman standing behind Zachary in the tan shirt.

After the meeting we all had lunch. It was a very nice start to our Boy Scout experience!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me that I need to get D a little knife for carving some soap. I got the idea after our sculpting trip.

It looks like the boys had a lot of fun!